Philly’s famous bell has a new home across the street from Independence Hall. It’s still visible 24 hours a day but is surrounded by a new visitor’s center filled with interpretive displays. This is actually the third version of the bell. The first one cracked as it was initially rung in 1753 and was melted down and recast with more copper. The new one sounded flat and was again recast. It rang most famously (but perhaps mythically) on July 8, 1776 to announce a reading of the Declaration. This crack appeared sometime in the mid 1800’s.